Using effective visual models is one of the most important activities to do when you’re teaching patterns. Use these digital manipulative visual models to help your students practice explaining growing shapes and the patterns they follow.
Students may struggle to understand patterns with shapes. Many students will understand how the shapes grow after seeing them and building them with the digital manipulatives.
In this lesson, students will use the digital manipulatives to create visual models to learn about growing shapes. And, they’ll begin to make visual connections. This visual connection and the use of digital manipulatives will help your students succeed. (Common Core Standard 4.OA.C.5)
Benefits of The Intro to Growing Shapes
Students will have the opportunity to use digital manipulatives to work with growing shapes as they learn about the patterns they create.
The included activities can be completed digitally. They will prepare you to teach the standards (4.OA.C.5) through digital “hands-on” learning.
You’ll also save time by using the pre-made activities. And the completed activities make for a great formative assessment or an artifact for student portfolios.
- Low Floor, High Ceiling Math Task
- Digital Activity with Digital Manipulatives
- Supports Deep Conceptual Understanding
- Aligned to Standards (4.OA.C.5)
- Promotes Student Discourse
- Minimal Prep Time
- Easy to Edit and Create More Activities
These Intro to Growing Shapes activities contain everything you need to teach this lesson with minimal prep time:
- Editable Google Slides activity – added to your Google Drive
- Practice problems with manipulatives that are ready to go
- Video: How to edit Google Master Slides