Using effective visual models is one of the most important activities to do when you’re teaching conceptual multiplication. Use these digital manipulative area models to help your students practice multiplication.
Students may struggle to solve 1 and 2 digit multiplication problems. Many students will understand them and be able to complete the area model activities easily after using visual models to practice.
In this lesson, students will use the digital manipulatives to create visual models to solve 1 and 2 digit area models. And, they’ll begin to make visual connections when completing 1 and digit multiplication problems. This visual connection and the use of digital manipulatives will help your students succeed. (Common Core Standard 2.GA.2; 3.MD.5-7)
Benefits of The 1 and 2 Digit Area Model Activities
Students will have the opportunity to use digital manipulatives to create visual models, as they learn a structured process for solving 1 and 2 digit multiplication problems, while deepening their understanding of multiplication.
The included activities can be completed digitally. They will prepare you to teach the standards (2.GA.2 and 3.MD.5-7) through digital “hands-on” learning.
You’ll also save time by using the pre-made activities. And the completed activities make for a great formative assessment or an artifact for student portfolios.
- Low Floor, High Ceiling Math Task
- Digital Activity with Digital Manipulatives
- Supports Deep Conceptual Understanding
- Aligned to Standards (2.GA.2, 3.MD.5-7)
- Promotes Student Discourse
- Minimal Prep Time
- Easy to Edit and Create More Activities
These 1 and 2 digit area model activities contain everything you need to teach this lesson with minimal prep time:
- Editable Google Slides activity – added to your Google Drive
- Practice problems with manipulatives that are ready to go
- Video: How to edit Google Master Slides